At Lavania & Balan Chambers (LBC), we have a team of dedicated lawyers experienced in providing an end-to-end legal, contractual, technical and practical advice on a myriad of construction and engineering-related issues. We regularly deal with complex issues concerning delay and disruption, claims for variation and overall claims for work done.
We focus on providing high quality and cost-effective legal solutions to achieve our clients’ legal objectives. In an ever-changing market, we recognise the complex legal challenges that developers and contractors face during the various stages of a project. We provide a reassuring legal presence from initial advisory work and project management, to rendering advice on dispute avoidance mechanisms such as mediation, and subsequently dispute resolution through adjudication, litigation and arbitration.
We also work closely with independent industry experts and consultants (such as architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and project managers) in the areas of delay analysis, quantum and project management to provide reliable technical advice.
Our core expertise includes the following areas:
- Civil Construction and Engineering Projects
- Infrastructure Projects
- Petrochemical Projects
- Construction of Oil and Gas Refineries
- Offshore Construction and Marine Engineering Projects
- Land Reclamation Projects
- Professional Indemnity and Contractors’ All Risks Insurance
Notable Briefs Include:
- Represented a sub-contractor in a contractual dispute arising from an oil / petroleum refinery project valued in excess of USD100 million.
- Represented an international façade sub-contractor in a dispute involving a mixed development of a hotel and serviced residence valued at RM127 million.
- Represented a main contractor in respect of a dispute involving civil foundation, road, drainage, paving and land scaping works for a power plant project worth approximately RM100 million.
- Represented a main contractor in a dispute valued in excess of RM100 million arising from the maintenance, construction, and modification works (offshore and onshore) for structure and facilities of an oil field.
- Represented a main contractor in a project (East Malaysia) worth approximately RM81 million relating to the construction of an education institute.
- Represented a main contractor in a dispute involving a project worth in excess of RM300 million relating to the construction and development of a luxury residential area.
- Advised an employer in relation to a dispute concerning issues of termination, dispute avoidance and force majeure arising from a project worth approximately RM50 million for the production of EURO 4M gasoline in an oil and gas refinery.
- Represented an internationally renowned employer in relation to a dispute arising from the construction of a high-end condominium in a project worth in excess of RM136 million.
- Represented a developer in a land reclamation project involving a claim sum in excess of RM250 million.
- Advised and defended an employer in legal proceedings commenced by a sub-contractor which engaged legal issues on quantum meruit and unjust enrichment. The dispute relates to works relating to the construction of a mixed integrated development worth in excess of RM10 million.